Project Coordinator: Institute for Ethnic Studies
Head of the project: Assoc. Prof. Miran Komac, Ph. D.
Consortium Partners: Educational Research Institute, Geodetic Institute of Slovenia, Roma Academic Club, Association for Developing Voluntary Work Novo mesto, Elementary School Leskovec pri Krškem – Kindergarten, Center for Social Work Trebnje
Con. No.: C3311-10-519009
Funding: The European Union through the European Social Fund and Ministry of Education, Science, Culture and Sport
Duration of the project: September 2010–August 2013
The primary aim of the project is to create conditions that would allow the members of the Roma community to escape the vicious circle of social exclusion. This circle could only be broken by adequate investments in social and cultural capital in the environments, populated by the members of the respective community. The project highlights education as the most efficient way out. Its objectives are to increase the level of education of the Roma community members and to raise awareness about the significance of education as the fundamental factor in the progress of the community.
• a survey and evaluation of the thus far completed projects and work in the field of Roma education
• a spatial and demographic analysis of the environments, populated by the members of Roma community
• promotion and implementation of different educational activities for pre-school children and their families
• establishment of Roma Education Incubators in the areas inhabited with Roma population
• elementary and secondary level school assistance, and other activities aimed at improving the inclusion of Roma children into the educational process
• preparation, organization and implementation of sustainable teacher training, and training of social and other expert workers for the work with Roma children and adolescents
• development and implementation of extracurricular programmes and leisure time activities for children, youth and parents in the environments populated by the members of the Roma community
• transnational networking and exchange of best practices in the field of Roma education